Sunday, January 25, 2015

From Avoca


My last morning in Maryborough was another warm one, but I found a shady spot in the park near my campsite.  Later I discovered that the smallest package of milk powder one can buy in Australia is 1 kg, so I now have enough for at least 21 breakfasts.  I managed to get a computer at the library to fix the missing pictures in the blog.

Oboe Spot in Maryborough


It was just a short ride from Maryborough to Dunolly, a much smaller former gold mining town.  Times are tough in Dunnolly:  the last pub just closed.  Fortunately, there is still a grocery, bakery, and cafe.

Kangaroo Crossing

That afternoon, as planned, I met 7 members of the Melbourne Bicycle Touring Club.  All appeared to be in their 50's or older, another sign of the ageing of bicycle touring enthusiasts.  They were planning day trips from Dunolly over the long Australia Day weekend, though several of them rode to Dunolly from a train station some 60 km away.   I had a very enjoyable time riding and visiting with them.  

Saturday night, a cool change came through, and it's been quite cool ever since, with southerly winds.  Highs have been in the low 20's C (low 70's F), and the nights have been quite cool.

On Sunday, 5 of us rode back to Maryborough, some of it on dirt roads.  I rode back with Heather and Michael on the same route I had ridden the day before, but this time with a tail wind.  I was concerned that they would all show up with super light, fast road bikes, but I was able to keep up without having to work too hard.  (Even though I did have the fattest tires.)  Both evenings we had excellent dinners at the cafe in Dunolly.



Alan, Michael, Heather, and John
Melbourne Bicycle Touring Club

The Melbourne cyclists all left for home Monday morning, and I turned into the wind for the short ride to Avoca.  It looks much the same as when Roger, Wendy, and I stayed here in 2001, though there's a new library with internet access.

No comments:

Post a Comment